- Wednesday, February 29, 2012; GREAT MINDS VISIT RUTGERS: Giannina Braschi, Groundbreaking Author. From across the Hudson River, around the nation, and the world beyond our shores, exceptional thinkers come to Rutgers to enlighten, engage, and entertain. The Great Minds lecture series covers the gamut of human inquiry. Meet -the-author reception begins at 6pm at The Latino Arts Center @ 122 College Avenue, New Brunswick. Dramatic reading by Giannina Braschi from UNITED STATES OF BANANA takes place @ 7pm at The Graduate Students Lounge of Rutgers College Student Center located @ 126 College Avenue, New Brunswick. The event is sponsored by the Office of Undergraduate Education, College Avenue Campus deans, Department of Spanish and Portuguese, Department of Latino and Hispanic Caribbean Studies, Program in Comparative Literature, the Institute for Research on Women, and Center for Latino Arts and Culture. Link for university map: http://rumaps.rutgers.edu/
- Emory University Presents Giannina Braschi’s United States of Banana, Wednesday, April 18, 2011 at 4:30pm. More information forthcoming.
- PEN World Voices Festival of International Literature 2012 (Monday, April 30th through Sunday, May 6th, 2012 New York City). Giannina Braschi @ the PEN Festival of Dreams 2012, organized by Laszlo Jakab Orsos & Salman Rushdie of PEN American Center. For exact time and location contact: www.pen.org
- AMERICAN LITERATURE ASSOCIATION, 23nd Annual Conference, May 24-27, 2012. Reading from United States of Banana by Giannina Braschi and book signing. Hyatt Regency, San Francisco, CA. Conference Director: email@example.comNew York State Writers Institute to be held on Friday, October 26
- SAMEDI 9 JUIN, UNIVERSITE PARIS SORBONNE (PARIS IV) 14h15 – 15h45 Bibliothèque Louis Bonnerot: Lectures de GIANNINA BRASCHI et Jérôme ORSONI (modérateur : Jagna Oltarzewska). &NOW FESTIVAL OF NEW WRITINGS OF FRANCE & THE US AT THE SORBONNE UNIVERSITY IN PARIS JUNE 9.
- PUERTO RICAN STUDIES ASSOCIATION 2012 CONFERENCE, 20th Anniversary, New York State Writers Institute, Albany, Friday, October 26, 2012.
- AMERICAN STUDIES ASSOCIATION 2012 CONFERENCE. Dimensions of Empire and Resistance: Past, Present, and Future. November 15-18, 2012, San Juan, Puerto Rico @ The Caribe Hilton. [Since the publication of Donald Pease and Amy Kaplan’s Cultures of United States Imperialism in 1994, empire has come to hold a central place in American Studies scholarship, resulting in a rich and varied literature devoted to the topic in direct, unblinking, and sophisticated ways. Consider the vast spectrum of political and cultural practices running from colonial administration and military occupation; to tourism; to the history of sugar or rum or baseball; to the power dynamics either fostered or legitimated by educational practices and institutions — in places like Puerto Rico, for instance — or by “knowledge” and the disciplines themselves; to the quotidian imperialist slanders carried in US popular culture — and equally, the constant articulations of dissent; to metaphorical usages, like “media empire,” which are nonetheless embedded in histories of empire proper; to the transnational logic of a canonical “national treasure” like Moby-Dick; to the thick traces of the imperial past and the anti-imperialist present in a text like Empire of Dreams, by Puerto Rican poet Giannina Braschi.]
Monday, November 21, 2011, 7:00pm @ Biblioteca Nacional de Puerto Rico [Avenida Ponce de Leon #500, San Juan, Puerto Rico]. Welcoming remarks by Professor Maria M. Carrion of Emory University. Dramatic reading and book signing by Giannina Braschi. Cocktail reception and viewing of an archival exhibition on the life and works of Giannina Braschi.
- Thursday, December 1, 2011, 6:30pm @ Instituto Cervantes [211 East 49th Street, off 2nd Avenue, New York, New York]. Welcoming remarks by Professor Cristina Garrigos of Texas A&M. Short film by Michael Somoroff on United States of Banana, followed by a reading and book signing by Giannina Braschi.
- Friday, December 2, 7:00 pm @ Poets House [10 River Terrace, Battery Park City, downtown New York]. Remarks by poet D. Nurske, author of The Fall. Reading and book signing by Giannina Braschi.
- Thursday, February 16, 2012, 6pm. Giannina Braschi‘s United States of Banana. XXVIII Biennial Louisiana Conference on Hispanic Languages &Literatures: Independence in Latin America, 1812-2012. Lousiana State University, Baton Rouge. For info, contact LSUHispanic@lsu.edu
http://www.wapa.tv/noticias/especiales/orgullo-boricua–giannina-braschi_20111205213641.html (Orgullo Boricua, WAPATV, Channel 4 News)